Queenstown - Places of Worship

The earliest church to be built in Queenstown, and still used as such, is the imposing Wesley Methodist Church in Ebden Street, for which the foundation stone was laid in 1880.  Stonemasons in these parts must have been busy men in those days, for this beautiful building, with its towering spire, is yet another example of their craftsmanship.  It is interesting to note that the cost of the church, together with a new manse and a Sunday school room was ten thousand pounds! 



  WEST END METHODIST CHURCH

A second small Methodist Church was built in Cathcart Road in 1883 and it, too, is still in use today.


 NEDERDUITSE GEREFORMEERDE KERK

Originally began in what is now the church hall in 1854, the foundation stone of this imposing local sandstone building was laid in 1882.  The award-winning design, resulting from an architectural competition, features a magnificent square tower housing an impressive ring of bells, the largest of which weights a ton and a quarter and is one of the three largest in the country.

 NEDERDUITSE GEREFORMEERDE KERK

Although services of the Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk or Dutch Reformed Church, were held in Queenstown from 1854, the foundation stone for the elegant sandstone building in Robinson Road was only laid much later, in 1924.  The old church building was then used as the church hall.

 ST COLUMBA’ S PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

 The first Presbyterian Church in Queenstown was completed in 1865.   A hundred years later, in the early 1960’s, it became evident that the old building had deteriorated so badly and the only answer was demolition.  However, the original tower, reputed to be oldest piece of sandstone work in Queenstown, was retained and still stands in the grounds of the new St Columba’ s Presbyterian Church.

CATHEDRAL OF CHRIST THE KING

 Roman Catholics first worshipped in the church of St Dominic, which was completed on the corner of Robinson Road and Zeiler Street in 1894.  This building later became part of the Convent of the Sacred Heart and subsequently !! when the school closed !! the complex was sold as offices.  

 The new Cathedral of Christ the King, with a tower 38 meter high, was commissioned in 1959.  The stained glass and gold work in the Cathedral were made in German, as were the three bells, named Faith, Hope and Charity.